Part of: GS Prelims and GS – I – Culture
- The COVID-19 pandemic has provided an Assam-based trust the opportunity to focus on a near-forgotten form of string puppetry called Putola Nach.
- It is performed in three areas with distinct characteristics.
- These areas are Barpeta-Nalbari in western Assam, Kalaigaon in northern Assam and Majuli “island” in eastern Assam.
- The Ramayana, either in its entirety or by episodes, is performed, as well as scenes from the Mahabharata.
- The puppeteers are happy to add dialogues or chants taken from bhaona, the local traditional theatre.