Dagmara Hydro-Electric Project: Bihar
Part of: GS Prelims and GS I – Geography and GS -III – Infrastructure
- Recently, a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) has been signed between National Hydro Power Corporation (NHPC) Limited and Bihar State Hydroelectric Power Corporation Limited (BSHPC) for Implementation of Dagmara Hydro-Electric Project, Supaul, Bihar
- The project is located on Kosi river.
About the Project
- It is a Run-of-the-River scheme.
- Run-of-river hydro projects use the natural downward flow of rivers and micro turbine generators to capture the kinetic energy carried by water.
- The project will have the total capacity of generating 130 MW energy,
- It will be a landmark project in the power sector scenario of Bihar as far as green power is concerned.
- It will enhance the socio-economic and infrastructure development and create employment opportunities.
About Kosi River
- The Kosi is a trans-boundary river which flows through Tibet, Nepal and India.
- It has its source in Tibet
- Major tributaries: Sun Kosi, Arun and Tamur
- Its unstable nature causes course changes.
- The Kosi carries the maximum amount of silt and sand after the Brahmaputra in India.
- It is also known as the “Sorrow of Bihar” due to the extreme flooding that it causes.