100% of Human Genome sequenced
Part of: GS Prelims and GS III – Sci and tech; Biotechnology
- Researchers at the Telomere-to- Telomere Consortium, an international collaboration, have sequenced the first complete human reference genome.
About Genome Sequencing and genome
- Genome Sequencing means deciphering the exact order of base pairs in an individual.
- Genome is an organism’s complete set of DNA.
- Human Genome contains about 3 billion base pairs.
Benefits of Genome Sequencing
- Help in identifying genomic causes of rare diseases.
- Improving the understanding of how virus spreads.
- Identifying the genetic mutations
Various initiatives taken for genome Sequencing
- IndiGen programme: Funded by the Council for scientific and Industrial Research to undertake whole genome sequences of 1000 Indian individuals representing diverse ethnic groups from India.
- Genome India project by Department of Biotechnology which aims to collect 10,000 genetic samples from citizens across India
- Human Genome Project: An international research to determine DNA sequence of the entire Human Genome. It began in 1999 and was completed in 2003.