E-launch of NAFED Fortified Rice Bran Oil
Part of: GS Prelims and GS -III – Economy; Agriculture
- Department of Food and Public Distribution recently E-launched “NAFED Fortified Rice Bran Oil”.
About Rice bran oil
- Rice bran oil is the oil extracted from the hard outer brown layer of rice called chaff (rice husk).
- It is known for its high smoke point of 232 °C (450 °F) making it suitable for high-temperature cooking methods such as stir frying and deep frying.
- Rice bran oil has a composition similar to that of peanut oil.
- Lowering cholesterol level due to its low trans-fat content and high monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fat contents.
- It also acts as a booster and reduces the risk of cancer due to the high amount of Vitamin E it contains.
- It is recommended by the WHO as one of the best substitutes for other edible oils.
- National Agricultural Cooperative Marketing Federation of India Ltd (NAFED) is an apex organization of marketing cooperatives for agricultural produce in India.
- It was founded on 2 October 1958.
- It is registered under Multi State Co-operative Societies Act.
- Headquarters: New Delhi.
- Ministry: Ministry of Agriculture