India’s Roadmap to Ethanol
Part of: GS Prelims and GS -III – Economy
- The central government has released an expert committee report on the Roadmap for Ethanol Blending in India by 2025.
- The roadmap proposes a gradual rollout of ethanol-blended fuel to achieve E10 fuel supply by April 2022 and phased rollout of E20 from April 2023 to April 2025.
- The Government of India has advanced the target for 20% ethanol blending in petrol (also called E20) to 2025 from 2030.
What is Ethanol?
- It is one of the principal Biofuels.
- It is naturally produced by the fermentation of sugars by yeasts or via petrochemical processes such as ethylene hydration.
Recommendations of the Roadmap:
- Notify Ethanol Blending Roadmap
- Better Infrastructure for Oil Marketing Companies
- Speed up regulatory clearances
- Incentivise Ethanol Blended Vehicle
- Lower pricing of ethanol blended Gasoline