Launch of Seed Minikits Programme
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-III – Economy
- The Seed Minikit Programme was launched recently.
- Launched by: Ministry of Agriculture
- Seed Minikits consisting of higher yielding varieties of seeds of Pulses and oilseeds were distributed to farmers.
- It is wholly funded by the Government of India through the National Food Security Mission.
Benefits of the Programme
- It is a major tool for introducing new varieties of seeds in the farmers’ fields.
- It will ensure better harvest and better income.
- It is instrumental for increasing the seed replacement rate
- The distribution is free of cost
Who is providing the kits?
- The Central Agencies National Seeds Corporation (NCS), NAFED and Gujarat State Seeds Corporation