Mali suspended from African Union
Part of: GS Prelims and GS -II – International Relations
- The African Union suspended Mali’s membership in response to the military coup and it threatened Mali with sanctions if a civilian-led government was not restored.
- West African regional bloc Economic Community of West African States ECOWAS had also suspended Mali.
- Mali is a landlocked country in West Africa. Capital: Bamako.
About African Union
- It is a continental union consisting of 55 countries of Africa.
- In 2017, the AU admitted Morocco as a member state.
- The AU was announced in the Sirte Declaration in Sirte, Libya in 1999.
- It was founded in 2001 in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
- It was launched in 2002 in Durban, South Africa.
- The AU’s secretariat, the African Union Commission, is based in Addis Ababa
India and AU
- India is a member of the AU Partners Group (AUPG), which meets periodically in Addis Ababa.
- India-Africa Forum Summit was the first ever India-Africa Forum Summit, participated by the Leaders of 14 African countries and the African Union Commission.
- It represented a turning point in the India- AU relations.
- The Summit adopted the Delhi Declaration and the Africa-India Framework for Cooperation, which constituted the blueprint for cooperation between India and Africa in the 21st century.