New Atlantic Charter between USA and UK
Part of: GS Prelims and GS -III – International relations
- Recently, the USA’s President and UK’s Prime Minister signed a new version of the 80-year old Atlantic Charter.
- The Atlantic Charter was a joint declaration released by US President Franklin D. Roosevelt and British Prime Minister Winston Churchill on 14th August, 1941 during World War II in Newfoundland.
New Atlantic Charter (2021)
- The new charter is an effort towards a grand vision of global relationships of democracy and territorial integrity.
- It is a statement of a promise that the UK and the US would meet the challenges of today’s world.
- It calls for both countries to adhere to the rules-based international order.
- It also focuses on climate change and biodiversity.
- It also highlights emerging technologies, cyberspace and sustainable global development.
- It calls on Western allies to oppose interference through disinformation or other malign influences, including in elections.
- It vows that as long as there are nuclear weapons, North Atlantic Treaty Organisation (NATO) will remain a nuclear alliance.