PM-CARES for Children scheme
Part of: GS Prelims and GS -II – Policies and interventions
- The Central government has announced the “PM-CARES for Children” scheme for all those children orphaned due to Covid-19.
- Also, the Supreme Court has ordered the district authorities to upload the details of children in need of care and protection on NCPCR (National Commission for Protection of Child Rights) portal Bal Swaraj.
Salient features of the Scheme
- Corpus of Rs. 10 Lakh:
- A corpus of Rs. 10 lakh will be allocated to each of these children from the PM CARES fund.
- It will provide monthly stipend from 18 years of age.
- On attaining 23 years, he/she will get the corpus amount.
- Education to the Children (under 10 years):
- Ensure admission to Kendriya Vidyalayas/ private schools.
- PM CARES will pay for the uniform text books and notebooks
- If the child is admitted in a private school the fees as per the RTE norms will be provided
- Education to the Children (11-18 years):
- The child will be given admission in any Central Government Residential School
- In case the child is to be continued under the care of guardian, he/she will be given admission in the nearest Kendriya Vidyalaya/private school
- Higher education:
- Provision of either a scholarship equivalent to the tuition fees/ educational loans.
- Interest on the loan will be paid by the PM-CARES fund.
- Health Insurance:
- All children will be enrolled as a beneficiary under Ayushman Bharat Scheme
- The premium amount will be paid by PM-CARES till a child turns 18.