Release of AISHE-2020 report
Part of: GS Prelims and GS -II – Education
- Recently, the Union Education Minister announced the release of the report of All India Survey on Higher Education (AISHE) 2019-20.
- The Report provides key performance indicators on the current status of Higher education in India.
- It is released annually by the Department of Higher Education.
Key findings of the report
- In the last five years from 2015-16 to 2019-20, there has been a growth of 11.4% in student enrolment.
- Uttar Pradesh has highest student enrolment in India (49.1% male and 50.9% female) followed by Tamil Nadu and Maharashtra
- Gross Enrollment Ratio (GER) increased by a minuscule 0.8% in 2019-20.
- GER is the number of students enrolled in a given level of education, regardless of age,
- There has been overall increase of over 18% in female enrolment.
- However, share of girl students is lowest in institutes of national importance while female participation in professional courses is lower as compared to to academic courses.
- Humanities, Science, Commerce, Engineering & Technology, Medical Science and IT & Computer were six major fields chosen by students.
Recent Initiatives in Education
- National Education Policy (NEP), 2020: It aims at increasing the GER in higher education to 50% by 2035.
- Scheme for Promotion of Academic and Research Collaboration (SPARC): It aims at improving the research ecosystem by research collaborations between Indian institutions and the best institutions in the world.
- Rashtriya Ucchatar Shiksha Abhiyan (RUSA): It aims at providing strategic funding to higher educational institutions.