Sea levels to rise around Lakshadweep Islands due to global warming
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-III – Environment; Conservation;Climate change
- Recently, a study has projected that sea levels will rise around Lakshadweep Islands due to the impact of global warming.
- This is for the first time, that climate model projections were used to assess the potential areas of inundation over the archipelago of Lakshadweep Islands in the Arabian Sea.
Key takeaways of the study
- It will affect airport and residential areas that are quite close to the present coastline.
- The study estimated that smaller islands Chetlat and Amini are expected to have major land-loss.
- The larger islands Minicoy and the capital Kavaratti are also vulnerable to sea-level rise, and expected to experience land-loss along 60% of the existing shoreline.
- Sea-level rise effects are seen to have the least impact on Androth Island under all emission scenarios.
Impact of Coastal inundation
- It could have wide socio-economic impact.
- Projected inundation due to sea-level rise can impact the islanders as residential areas are quite close to the present coastline.
- Also, the only airport in the archipelago is located at the southern tip of Agatti Island, and has a high likelihood of damage due to inundation from sea-level rise
What needs to be done?
- It is necessary to have appropriate coastal protection measures and best-practices to formulate planning guidelines.
Important value additions
Sea Level Rise (SLR)
- SLR is an increase in the level of the world’s oceans due to the effects of climate change, especially global warming, induced
- SLR takes place by three primary factors:
- Thermal Expansion
- Melting Glaciers
- Loss of Greenland and Antarctica’s ice sheets.
- Consequences of SLR:
- Coastal Flooding
- Destruction of Coastal Biodiversity
- Dangerous Storm Surges
- Lateral and Inland Migration.
- Impact on Infrastructure
- Threat to Inland Life:
- National Action Plan on Climate Change:
- It was launched in 2008 by the Prime Minister’s Council on Climate Change.
- It aims at creating awareness among the representatives of the public, different agencies of the government, scientists, industry and the communities on the threat posed by climate change and the steps to counter it.