App chendavia gaining popularity among the students of kalbeliya dance
Part of: GS Prelims and GS I – Culture
- Recently, due to Covid-19-Pandemic an app called chendavia is gaining popularity among the students of kalbeliya dance.
About kalbeliya dance
- Kalbeliya dances are an expression of the Kalbeliya community’s traditional way of life.
- It was included in the UNESCO list of Intangible Cultural Heritage (ICH) in 2010.
- UNESCO’s List of ICH is made up of those intangible heritage elements that help demonstrate diversity of cultural heritage and raise awareness about its importance.
- It was established in 2008
- The dance form consists of swirling and graceful movements
- The movements associated with the Kalbelia also make it one of the most sensuous forms of folk dance in India.
- It is generally performed for any joyous celebration.
- Another unique aspect is that it is only performed by women while the men play the instruments and provide the music.
About the Kalbeliya Tribe
- Kalbeliya tribe people were once professional snake handlers.
- Today they are seen in their former occupation in music and dance
- They live a nomadic life and belong to the scheduled tribes.
- The largest number of the population of Kalbeliyas is in Pali district, then Ajmer, Chittorgarh and Udaipur district (Rajasthan).
Other Traditional Folk Dances of Rajasthan
- Kachchhi Ghodi
- Bhavai, etc.