G20 Foreign Ministers’ Meeting
Part of: GS Prelims and GS -II – International relations
- Recently, Italy hosted the G-20 foreign ministers’ meeting to discuss the fight against Covid-19 and how to speed up the recovery of the global economy and boost sustainable development in Africa.
About the Meeting
- It criticized China and Russia for engaging in vaccine diplomacy.
- Vaccine diplomacy is the branch of global health diplomacy in which a nation uses the development or delivery of vaccines to strengthen ties with other nations.
- Promoting a science-based holistic One Health approach.
- ‘One Health’ is an approach to designing and implementing programmes, policies, in which multiple sectors communicate and work together to achieve better public health outcomes.
- It also emphasised that Increased climate variability and extreme weather events impact agriculture output and are among the forces driving the rise in global hunger.
- On Africa:
- The Covid-19 pandemic, conflict, drought, economic woes, and extreme weather are reversing years of progress.
- In the whole of Africa, 250 million people were experiencing hunger, which is nearly 20% of the population (as of 2019).
India’s Stand in the meeting
- Flagged the issue of “vaccine equity”
- It entails both affordability of vaccines and access opportunities for populations across the world, irrespective of geography and geopolitics.
- Economy needs decentralised globalisation, including in manufacturing, food and health.
- Resilient supply chains must develop in parallel.