Draft National Strategy and Roadmap for Development of Rural Tourism in India
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-III – Tourism
In news Ministry of Tourism has invited feedback/ comments/ suggestions on the draft National Strategy and Roadmap for Development of Rural Tourism in India
from all the State Governments/UT Administrations.
- Rural Tourism is any form of tourism that showcases the rural life, art, culture and heritage at rural locations.
- It benefits the local community economically and socially as well as enabling interaction between the tourists and the locals for a more enriching tourism experience.
- Driven by the spirit of “Vocal for Local”, rural tourism can contribute significantly to the mission of Aatmanirbhar Bharat.
- The Ministry of Tourism has identified Rural Circuit as one of the thematic circuits under Swadesh Darshan Scheme
What is the focus of the strategy?
- It focuses on the key pillars like
- Model policies and best practices for rural tourism
- Digital technologies and platforms for rural tourism
- Developing clusters for rural tourism
- Marketing support for rural tourism
- Capacity building of stakeholders
- Governance and Institutional Framework.
What is the Potential/Significance of Rural Tourism in India?
- The concept of Rural Tourism is useful for India since almost 74% of the population resides in its 7 million villages.
- Numerous local traditions like plays, art forms, dances etc. enhance the cultural wealth of rural areas, making these attractive for the tourists.
- Lush green forests in south Indian villages, sacred groves etc. make them an ideal site to promote tourism.
- It could provide jobs to many young men and women who otherwise are increasingly migrating to cities.
- Socially, it can open the rural mindset to new thoughts and ideas from the outside world. For the urban citizen, a few days spent amidst traditional rural lifestyle may prove to be a great stress reliever.
News Source: PIB