‘Ek Bharat Shreshtha Bharat – Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav’
Part of: GS Prelims and GS -II – Policies and interventions
In news: A webinar on ‘Ek Bharat Shreshtha Bharat – Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav’ was organized by Ministry of Information & Broadcasting, Government of India.
What is the ‘Ek Bharat Shreshtha Bharat’ programme?
- The initiative ‘Ek Bharat Shreshtha Bharat’ was announced by Indian Prime Minister on 31st October 2015 on the occasion of the 140th birth anniversary of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel.
- It is implemented under the overall guidance of Ministry of Education.
- The scheme was launched to celebrate the cultural vibrancy of India while establishing a strong mechanism to inculcate nationalism and cultural awareness among the citizens of our nation
- It aims to enhance interaction & promote mutual understanding between people of different states/UTs through the concept of state/UT pairing.
- Under it rich culture, heritage, customs and traditions of paired states will be showcased in each other’s states
- This cultural exchange amongst states enables people to learn about the culture of different states and regions, promoting the spirit of national integration.
- Multiple initiatives have been taken up under the Ek Bharat, Shreshtha Bharat program some of which are:
- Award-winning books and poetry, popular folk songs have been translated from one language to the language of the partner state
- Culinary events have been organised to learn culinary practices of partner states
- Homestay for visitors coming from partner states
- Rajya Darshan for Tourists
- Accepting the traditional attire of other states and Union Territories
- Exchange of information like traditional agricultural practices with partner states
- The scheme thus bolsters sentimental bonds among the people of different states and build the feeling of ‘One Nation’ among all the citizens of the country
What is Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav?
- It is a series of events to be organised by the Government of India to commemorate the 75th Anniversary of India’s Independence.
- It will be celebrated as a Jan-Utsav in the spirit of Jan-Bhagidari.
- It is based on five pillars i.e. Freedom Struggle, Ideas at 75, Achievements at 75, Actions at 75 and Resolves at 75 as guiding force for moving forward keeping dreams and duties as inspiration.
- The Azadi Amrit Mahotsav means elixir of inspirations of the warriors of freedom struggle and also elixir of new ideas and pledges and nectar of Aatmanirbharta.