Geo-imaging satellite “EOS-03”
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-III – Space
In news: Geo-imaging satellite“EOS-03”is scheduled for launch in the third quarter of 2021 by ISRO.
About EOS-3 Satellite
- EOS-03 is Earth Observation Satellite that would enable near-real time monitoring of natural disasters like floods & cyclones.
- Earth observation is the gathering of information about Earth’s physical, chemical and biological systems.
- Other earth observation satellites launched by ISRO include RESOURCESAT- 2, 2A, CARTOSAT-1, 2, 2A, 2B, RISAT-1 and 2, OCEANSAT-2, Megha-Tropiques, SARAL and SCATSAT-1, INSAT-3DR, 3D, etc.
- EOS-03 is capable of imaging the whole country 4-5 times daily.
- In addition to natural disasters, EOS-03 would also enable monitoring of water bodies, crops, vegetation conditions, forest cover changes etc.
Other development: SSLV
- The first developmental flight of the Small Satellite Launch Vehicle or SSLV is scheduled in the fourth quarter of 2021 from Satish Dhawan Space Centre, Sriharikota.
- SSLV is to be developed as a cost-effective, three stage, all-solid launch vehicle with a payload capability of 500 kg to 500 km planar orbit or 300 kg to Sun Synchronous Polar Orbit.
- SSLV is ideal for on-demand, quick turn-around launch of small satellites.
News Source: PIB