Part of: GS Prelims and GS -II – Policies and interventions and GS-III – Fisheries sector
In news: Union Minister for Fisheries, Animal Husbandry and Dairying recently launched the Online Course Mobile App “Matsya Setu” for Fish Farmers.
About Matsya Setu App
- Developed by: ICAR-Central Institute of Freshwater Aquaculture (ICAR-CIFA), Bhubaneswar, with the funding support of the National Fisheries Development Board (NFDB), Hyderabad.
- Aim: To disseminate the latest freshwater aquaculture technologies to the aqua farmers that will enhance their productivity and in turn, their incomes.
- Species-wise/ subject-wise self-learning online course modules will be provided through the app
- e-Certificate will be issues upon completion of the course
Do You Know?
- India is the second-largest fish producer (7.7% of global fish production) and 4th largest exporter of fish in the world. (China is the largest producer)
- Fish constituted about 10% of total exports from India and almost 20% of agriculture exports in 2017-18.
- The fisheries and aquaculture production contribute around 1% to India’s GDP and over 5% to the agricultural GDP.
- Around 28 million people are employed in the fisheries sector in India.
- NFDB was established in 2006 as an autonomous organization under the administrative control of Union Ministry of Fisheries, Animal Husbandry and Dairying to enhance fish production and productivity in the country and to coordinate fishery development in an integrated and holistic manner
What are the other Steps taken to improve the fisheries sector?
- Constitution of the separate Ministry of Fisheries in February 2019.
- Blue Revolution: Integrated Development & Management of Fisheries: Focuses on creating an enabling environment for holistic development and management of fisheries
- Fisheries & Aquaculture Infrastructure Development Fund (FIDF) was approved with a total fund size of Rs 7522.48 crore.
- Pradhan Mantri Matsya Sampada Yojana (PMMSY): It aims to achieve 22 million tonnes of fish production by 2024-25. It is also expected to create employment opportunities for 5.5 million people.
- Kisan credit cards for Fishermen
- Development of Inland Fisheries & Aquaculture