NIPUN Bharat Program
Part of: GS Prelims and GS -II – Education
In news: Recently National Initiative for Proficiency in Reading with Understanding and Numeracy program (NIPUN) was launched.
What are the features of the programme?
- Mission has been launched under centrally sponsored scheme of Samagra Shiksha.
- Objective of NIPUN: To ensure Universal acquisition of foundational literacy and numeracy (FLN) so that by 2026-27 every child achieve the desired learning competencies in reading, writing and numeracy at the end of grade 3 and not later than grade 5.
- Foundational language and literacy includes oral language, development, deciphering written words, reading fluency, reading comprehension and writing
- Foundational numeracy means the ability to reason and apply simple numerical concept in daily life problem solving
- NIPUN lays down priorities and actionable agendas for States and UTs to achieve the goal of proficiency in foundational literacy and numeracy.
- Learning outcomes have been divided into three developmental goals:
- Goal I: Health and well-being
- Goal II: Effective communicators
- Goal III: Involved learners
- Five tier-implementation mechanism will be set up at National-state-district-block- school level
- Implementing agency at National level: Department of school education and literacy, Ministry of Education
- Attaining FLN for all children has been focused in national education policy 2020.
What will NIPUN focus on?
- Providing access and retaining children in foundational years of schooling.
- Teacher capacity building
- Development of high quality and diverse student and teacher resources.
- Tracking the progress of each child in achieving learning outcomes.