Part of: GS Prelims and GS-I – Geography
In news: Increased inflows and stagnated backwaters caused a breach in the Godavari bund located upstream of the Polavaram dam in Andhra Pradesh.
What is Polavaram Irrigation Project?
- It is a multi-purpose irrigation project
- Location: Andhra Pradesh on the river Godavari, near Polavaram village.
- Once completed, it will provide Irrigation benefits and will generate Hydro Electric Power and supply drinking water.
- It will facilitate an inter-basin transfer to the Krishna river basin through its Right canal.
- Indirect benefits include development of Pisciculture (breeding and rearing of fish), tourism and urbanisation.
- The Project has been accorded national project status by the union government in 2014 (under Section-90 of Andhra Pradesh Reorganization Act, 2014).
Where is Godavari River?
- Source: Godavari river rises from Trimbakeshwar near Nasik in Maharashtra and drains into the Bay of Bengal.
- Drainage Basin: Maharashtra, Andhra Pradesh, Chhattisgarh and Odisha and smaller parts in Madhya Pradesh, Karnataka and Puducherry.
- Tributaries: Pravara, Purna, Manjra, Penganga, Wardha, Wainganga, Pranhita, Indravati, Maner and the Sabri.