NTPC Limited first energy company to declare its Energy Compact Goals
Part of: GS Prelims and GS -III – Energy Sector
- National Thermal Power Corporation (NTPC) Limited has become the first energy company in the Indian energy domain to declare its Energy Compact Goals as part of UN High-level Dialogue on Energy (HLDE).
- NTPC is India’s largest power generating company which is under the Ministry of Power.
- The United Nations is set to convene a high-level dialogue (HLD) in September, 2021 to promote the implementation of the energy-related goals and targets of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.
About Energy Compacts
- It is a platform to unite and connect commitments and actions.
- They are being mobilized by UN-Energy throughout the current Decade of Action.
- They form part of commitments that will advance progress on one or more of SDG7’s three core targets.
- SDG7 calls for “affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all” by 2030.
- SDG 7 three core targets: Access to energy, Renewable energy, Energy efficiency.
- These are voluntary commitments from Member States and non-state actors
About NTPC Energy Compact Goals
- It has set a target to install 60 GW of renewable energy capacity by 2032.
- It is also aiming at 10% reduction in net energy intensity by 2032.
- NTPC has declared that it will form at least 2 international alliances/groups to facilitate clean energy research and promote sustainability in the energy value chain by 2025.