Part of: Prelims and GS – III- Economy
In news: Ministry of Road Transport & Highways has introduced a new registration mark for new vehicles i.e. Bharat series (BH-series).
- This series will help in the vehicle re-registration process while moving from one state to another state.
- Need for new registration – Under section 47 of the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988, a person is allowed to keep the vehicle for not more than 12 months in any state other than the state where the vehicle is registered.
- But a new registration with the new state- registering authority has to be made within the stipulated time of 12 months.
- A passenger vehicle user takes the following steps to re-register a vehicle
- No Objection Certificate from the Parent State for assignment of a new registration mark in another state.
- Assignment of new registration mark after the road tax on prorata basis is paid in the new State
- Application for refund of road tax in parent State on pro rata basis.
- Registration Mark Format in BH-series that will facilitate seamless transfer of vehicles is YY BH #### XX.
- YY is the code for Year of 1st registration, BH is the code for Bharat Series, #### for 0000 to 9999, XX for Alphabets (AA to ZZ).
- A vehicle bearing this BH-series registration mark shall not require assignment of a new registration mark when the owner of the vehicle shifts from one State to another.
- This vehicle registration facility under “BH-series” will be available on voluntary basis to
- Defense personnel,
- Employees of Central & State Governments/ Central & State PSUs,
- Employees of private sector companies/organizations, which have their offices in 4 or more States/UTs.