CJI recuses himself from Andhra-Telangana case
Part of: GS Prelims and GS -II – State relations
In news The Chief Justice of India has recently recused himself from the Andhra-Telangana case.
What is the background of the case?
- In July, Andhra Pradesh government had moved the top court claiming that the Telangana government refused to follow the decisions taken by the Apex Council constituted under the Andhra Pradesh Reorganization Act, 2014, the directions of Krishna River Management Board (KRMB) formed under this Act, and the Centre”s directives.
- The petition said the fundamental rights including right to life of the people living in Andhra Pradesh was “seriously impaired and infringed” upon as they were being deprived of their “legitimate share of water” due to “unconstitutional, illegal and unjust” acts of the Telangana government and its officials.
What is Apex Council?
- It has been constituted by the Central Government under the provisions of Andhra Pradesh Reorganisation Act (APRA), 2014.
- It supervises the functioning of the Godavari River Management Board and Krishna River Management Board
- It comprises the Union Jal Shakti Minister and the Chief Ministers of Telangana and Andhra Pradesh.
What is Krishna River Management Board (KRMB)?
- Krishna River Management Board (KRMB) is an autonomous body established as per Andhra Pradesh Reorganization Act, 2014 under the administrative control of Ministry of Jal Shakti
- Objective: To manage and regulate the waters in Krishna Basin in the states of Andhra Pradesh and Telangana.
- The headquarters of the KRMB shall be in Andhra Pradesh.
News Source: TH