Permanent Forum of People of African Descent
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-II – International relations
In news Recently, the UN General Assembly approved a resolution establishing a Permanent Forum of People of African Descent.
About the UN United Nations Permanent Forum of People of African Descent.
- It would serve as “a platform for improving the safety and quality of life and livelihoods of people of African descent” and ensure the full political, economic and social inclusion in the societies where they live.
- It would provide expert advice and recommendations, to Human Rights Council & UN agencies, on addressing the challenges of racism, racial discrimination, xenophobia and intolerance.
- Forum’s first session will take place in 2022.
- The forum will consist of 10 members — five elected by the General Assembly from all regions and five appointed by the Human Rights Council following consultations with regional groups and organizations of people of African descent.
- The resolution also calls for annual reports to the assembly and the council on the forum’s activities, and an evaluation of its operation by the General Assembly after four sessions, based on an evaluation by the Human Rights Council.
Do you know?
- Recently, the International Decade for People of African Descent was also established by the General Assembly, which began on January 1, 2015, and ends on December 31, 2024.
- The decade is focusing on the themes of recognition, justice and development.
- Member States of the UN adopted the texts at the World Conference against Racism, Racial Discrimination, Xenophobia and Related Intolerance, held in 2001 in Durban, South Africa and is called Durban declaration.
About The Human Rights Council
- It is an inter-governmental body within the United Nations system made up of 47 States responsible for the promotion and protection of all human rights around the globe.
- It has the ability to discuss all thematic human rights issues and situations that require its attention throughout the year.
- It meets at the UN Office at Geneva.
News Source: TH