TRIFED adds 75 new tribal products to Tribes India catalogue
Part of: GS Prelims and Mains GS-III- Economy
In news: As India steps into 75 years of Independence, 75 new tribal products were launched by TRIFED and added to the already extensive, attractive Tribes India catalogue.
- Sourced from all across the country, the products launched exquisite and attractive items such as metal figurines, handmade jewelry, decorations such as hangings; handcrafted apparel such as shirts, kurtas, masks and also organic produce such as spices, processed juices and other herbal powders.
- TRIFED GI Movement, has also identified 75 products of Tribal origin or source which will be registered for Geographical Indication (GI) Tag under the Geographical Indications of Goods (Registration and Protection) Act, 1999, India.
- Out of 75 identified GI Tribal products, 37 such products belong to eight states of North East.
- From Tribal heartland states, 7 products from Jharkhand and 6 products from Madhya Pradesh have also been identified for GI Tagging.
- Moreover, it is about to set up an Atmanirbhar Bharat corner in 100 Indian Missions/ Embassies across the world that will be an exclusive space to promote GI tagged tribal art and craft products besides natural and organic products.
About The Tribal Cooperative Marketing Development Federation of India (TRIFED):
- Established in 1987, under the Multi-State Cooperative Societies Act, 1984, this statutory body works for the social and economic development of the tribal people of the country and is administered by the Ministry of Tribal Affairs.
- It has been registered as a National Level Cooperative body by the Government of the country
- It helps tribal people manufacture products for national and international markets on a sustainable basis and also supports the formation of Self-Help Groups and imparting training to them.
News Source: PIB