All-India Quarterly Establishment-based Employment Survey
Part of: Prelims and GS III – Employment
Context All-India Quarterly Establishment-based Employment Survey was recently released by the Ministry of Labour and Employment.
Major findings of the report
- In the first quarter of this fiscal (April-June 2021) 27% of the establishments surveyed reported COVID-19-related retrenchment (reduction).
- However, the overall employment numbers had increased by 29% from the base year of 2013-14.
- Overall, employment stood at 3.08 crore in the first quarter, an increase from 2.37 crore as reported in the Sixth Economic Census (2013-2014).
- Top employment sectors: IT/BPO sector (152%), followed by health (77%), transport (68%).
- There was a decline in employment in trade (25%) and accommodation and restaurants (13%).
- Trend in female employment: The number of female workers showed a decline too, from 31% in the Sixth Economic Survey to 29%.