Atmanirbhar Bharat corner for tribal products
Part of: Prelims and GS -II – Policies and interventions; Law and Policy
Context As part of India@75, the Tribal Cooperative Marketing Development Federation (TRIFED) is setting up an Atmanirbhar Bharat corner.
About Atmanirbhar Bharat corner
- This corner will be an exclusive space to promote GI tagged tribal art and craft products besides natural and organic products.
- With the focus on “Vocal for Local” and building an “Atmanirbhar Bharat”, TRIFED is undertaking several activities, while re-dedicating its efforts towards tribal empowerment.
- The TRIFED has been actively collaborating with several ministries & agencies such as:
- Ministry of Culture.
- Department of Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade (DPIIT), Ministry of Commerce.
- India Posts.
- Ministry of Tourism.
- Office of the Prime Minister.
- TRIFED is also setting up an Atmanirbhar Bharat corner in 75 Indian Missions/ Embassies across the world in the next 90 days by collaborating with Ministry of External Affairs.
- The first Atma Nirbhar Bharat corner has been successfully inaugurated at the Indian Embassy in Bangkok, Thailand on the occasion of Independence Day.
What is TRIFED?
- It was established in August 1987 under the Multi-State Cooperative Societies Act, 1984 by the Government of India.
- Main objective: Institutionalising the trade of Minor forest products(MFP) and to provide the tribals of India a fair price for the surplus agricultural products produced by them.
- It is a national level cooperative body.
- Ministry: Ministry Of Tribal Affairs.
- TRIFED is mandated to bring about socio-economic development of tribals of the country by institutionalising the trade of Minor Forest Produce & Surplus Agricultural Produce (SAP) collected/ cultivated by them.