Part of: Prelims and GS I – Art and culture
Context: At a time when Kathaprasangam is literally on the verge of extinction, a youth from Koodaranhi village in Kozhikode is making people aware of social issues through the art form.
What is Kathaprasangam?
- Kadhaprasangam (lyrical narrative or story telling performance) is a performing art of Kerala, India.
- It combines speaking, acting, and singing to present a story.
- Costumes, make-up, or settings are not used.
- The main artist, the Kaadhikan, tells the story, acts and sings with two or three accompanying instrumentalists.
- themes are largely from classical and popular literature.
- It originated from an earlier art form Harikathakalakshepam.