Steering Committee for Local Value Addition, Manufacturing and Exports (SCALE)
Part of: Prelims and GS – III – Manufacturing sector
Context: Ministry of Commerce and Industry and Manufacturing industry have set up the Steering Committee for Local Value Addition, Manufacturing and Exports or SCALE to revive manufacturing.
- Aim: Navigating Indian manufacturing away from the import-dependence pitfalls exposed by the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Composition: The SCALE includes the top officials from three industry bodies — CII, FICCI and Asshocham — three representatives from government and three industry leaders.
- The group is working on ideas for 17 sectors — from toys, textiles, furniture and e-cycles to drones, and even fisheries.
- It shall have no deadlines and will follow a rigorous process of consultations to align different factions of industry with varying agendas at multiple levels.
Do you know?
- A sunset industry is an industry in decline, one that has passed its peak or boom periods.