Parkash Purab of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-1
In News: The Prime Minister has greeted the people on the sacred occasion of the Parkash Purab of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji.
- The occasion marks the completion of the holy book of Sikhs, Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji, under the supervision of the fifth Guru Arjan Dev Ji in 1604 at Gurdwara Ramsar Sahib.
About Parkash Purab of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji
- The first Prakash Purab Utsav marked the installation of Guru Granth Sahib in Harmandir Sahib, also known as the Golden temple, in 1604.
- After the death of Guru Gobind Singh, his hymns and other writings were compiled into a book known as the Dasam Granth.
Kartarpur Sahib Corridor: Most celebrated project of Sikhs of India and Pakistan in recent times
- Facilitates pilgrims from India to visit the Gurdwara Kartarpur Sahib in Pakistan. The corridor is being built to connect Dera Baba Nanak in Gurdaspur with Gurdwara Darbar Sahib in Kartarpur, the final resting place of Sikhism founder Guru Nanak.
- Indian pilgrims of all faiths and persons of Indian origin can use the corridor.
- The travel will be Visa Free; Pilgrims need to carry only a valid passport
- Pilgrims would be allowed to carry kirpans (dagger), one of the five articles of faith worn by Sikhs.
Gatka: A traditional Sikh martial art
News Source: PIB