Patents (Amendment) Rules, 2021
Part of: GS-Prelims
In News: Patent Fees for Educational Institutions have been reduced by 80 percent.
At the time of applying for patents, the innovators have to apply these patents in the name of the institutions which have to pay fees for large applicants, which are very high and thus work as a disincentive. In this regard and to encourage greater participation of the educations institutions, who play a pivotal role in country’s innovation, official fees payable by them in respect of various acts under the Patents Rules, 2003, have been reduced by way of the Patents (Amendment) Rules, 2021.
- Augmentation of manpower by recruiting new examiners
- Making process of applying and granting patents completely online
- Hearing of cases in Patents through Video-Conferencing for speedy and contact-less proceedings
- Dynamic redesigning of website and real time based hassle free dissemination of IP information to stakeholders
- Encouraging the digital process for applying & granting Patents
- Scheme for Facilitating Startups Intellectual Property Protection (SIPP) has been launched to provide facilitators to Startups for filing and processing of their applications
- The mechanism to lodge feedback/suggestions/complaints has been set up
- An Expedited Examination System has been introduced wherein an application for grant of patent is being decided within one year of filing such request
News Source: PIB