Ayushman Bharat PMJAY
Part of: GS-Prelims and GS-II: Issues relating to development and management of Social Sector/Services relating to Health
In News: Ayushman Bharat PMJAY – the world’s largest healthcare scheme, has coompleted three years.
Aim: To make path-breaking interventions to address health holistically, in primary, secondary and tertiary care systems
Objective: Prevention + Promotion (Health & Wellness)
Two major initiatives:
- Health and Wellness Centre: Foundation of India’s health system
- 1.5 lakh centres will provide – comprehensive health care, including for non-communicable diseases and maternal and child health services, provide free essential drugs and diagnostic services
- The budget has allocated Rs.1200 crore for this flagship programme
- Contribution of the private sector through CSR and philanthropic institutions in adopting these centres is also envisaged.
- National Health Protection Scheme:
- Will cover over 10 crore poor and vulnerable families (approximately 50 crore beneficiaries)
- Coverage of up to ₹5 lakh a family a year will be provided for secondary- and tertiary-care hospitalization (50 crore beneficiaries)
The program is centrally sponsored under the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare (MoHFW). It is jointly funded by both the Central government and the states.
National Health Agency has been constituted as an autonomous entity for effective implementation of PMJAY in alliance with state governments.
News Source: PIB
For a dedicated peer group, Motivation & Quick updates, Join our official telegram channel – https://t.me/IASbabaOfficialAccount
Subscribe to our YouTube Channel HERE to watch Explainer Videos, Strategy Sessions, Toppers Talks & many more…