Ayushman Bharat Revised
Part of: Prelims and GS II – Health
Context The National Health Authority (NHA) has revised the Health Benefit Package (HBP) Master under the Ayushman Bharat Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana (AB PM-JAY) scheme.
Health Benefit Package (HBP 2.2)
- Rates of some packages have been increased by 20% to 400%.
- Rates of around 400 procedures have been revised
- Oone new additional medical management package related to black fungus has also been added.
- The revised packages for oncology will enhance cancer care for the beneficiaries in the country.
- Benefit: The rationalised HBP will further improve the uptake of schemes in private hospitals leading to reduced out-of-pocket expenditure.
What is National Health Authority (NHA)?
- NHA has been set-up to implement PM-JAY.
- Ministry: Ministry of Health and Family Welfare
- It has full functional autonomy.
- NHA is governed by a Governing Board chaired by the Union Minister for Health and Family Welfare.
- It is headed by a Chief Executive Officer (CEO), an officer of the rank of Secretary to the Government of India, who manages its affairs.
- The CEO is the Ex-Office Member Secretary of the Governing Board.
About Ayushman Bharat Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana (AB PM-JAY)
- This scheme is a Centrally sponsored scheme with some Central sector components.
- PMJAY offers a sum insured of 5 lakh per family for secondary care (which doesn’t involve a super specialist) as well as tertiary care. For the beneficiaries, this is a free scheme.
- It is an entitlement-based scheme that targets the beneficiaries as identified by latest Socio-Economic Caste Census (SECC) data
- The insurance cost is shared by the centre and the state mostly in the ratio of 60:40.