First ‘PM-WANI’ project launched in Kurnool
Part of: Prelims and GS II – Policies and interventions
Context The first Prime Minister’s Wi-Fi Access Network Interface (PM-WANI) project of Andhra Pradesh was recently launched in Kurnool district.
- As part of the project, Public Data Offices (PDOs) will work like Public Call Offices (PCOs) to facilitate users’ data service at cheaper rates so that every citizen can enjoy Internet facilities.
- It was launched under the brand name ‘Wi-DOT’.
- The project is being executed by Tess and Tera Techno Solutions Private Ltd.
- Benefits: This move will accelerate the proliferation of public broadband services through Wi-Fi networks and it will enable local entrepreneurs such as chaiwalas, kirana stores and eateries to earn additional revenue,”
About Prime Minister’s Wi-Fi Access Network Interface (PM-WANI)
- The scheme aims to bring large scale deployment of Wi-Fi hotspots through the country to drive up connectivity options and improve digital access.
- Ministry: Ministry of communications
- Benefits: Public Wi-Fi will serve as a low-cost option to reach unserved citizens and grow the economy.
- It can revolutionise the tech world and significantly improve Wi-Fi availability across the length and breadth of India.
- The scheme envisages setting up of public Wi-Fi networks and access points by local Kirana and neighbourhood shops through public data offices
- As per the National Digital Communication Plan, the Central government has set a target of setting up millions of Wi-Fi hotspots by 2022 and the PM-WANI scheme will facilitate this.