India to attend G20 virtual meeting on Afghanistan
Part of: Prelims and GS – II – International relations
Context Indian Prime Minister will attend an extraordinary virtual meeting of G20 leaders on Afghanistan to be held on October 12.
- The G20 meeting is likely to deliberate on both political as well as humanitarian issues regarding the country.
What is G20?
- The G20 is the international forum that brings together the world’s major economies. Its members account for more than 80% of world GDP, 75% of global trade and 60% of the population of the planet.
- The G20 comprises 19 countries and the European Union. The 19 countries are Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Canada, China, Germany, France, India, Indonesia, Italy, Japan, Mexico, Russia, Saudi Arabia, South Africa, South Korea, Turkey, the United Kingdom and the United States
- The forum has met every year since 1999 and includes, since 2008, a yearly Summit, with the participation of the respective Heads of State and Government.
- Italy is the current chair of G20.