Pinaka and Smerch rocket systems
Part of: Prelims and GS III – Defence and Security
Context The Indian Army has deployed Pinaka and Smerch long-range, multi-barrel rocket launch systems as well as BrahMos supersonic cruise missiles in the Tawang sector of Arunachal Pradesh closer to the Line of Actual Control (LAC).
- Smerch, procured from Russia, is the longest range conventional rocket system in the Army’s inventory with a maximum range of 90 km.
- Pinaka, indigenously designed and developed by the Defence Research and Development Organisation, has a range of 38 km.
About BrahMos supersonic cruise missiles
- Carried out by: Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) from Balasore in Odisha.
- BrahMos surface-to-surface supersonic cruise missile features indigenous Booster and Airframe Section along with many other ‘Made in India’ sub-systems.
- The BrahMos Land-Attack Cruise Missile was cruising at a top speed of Mach 2.8.