Democracy Summit of the USA
Part of: Prelims and GS II – International relations
Context India will participate in U.S.A’s “Summit for Democracy” to be held on 9th and 10th December.
- More than 100 democratic countries are invited to participate at the summit.
- The summit is expected to include “individual and collective commitments to defend democracy and human rights at international level.
- Key themes: “Defending against authoritarianism”, “Addressing and fighting corruption”, and “Advancing respect for human rights”.
- An attempt was earlier made by the U.S. and the U.K. to expand the G-7 meeting into a “D-10” or group of 10 democracies that would represent 60% of the global population, including Australia, India and South Korea, along with the G-7 group.
- The Group of Seven (G7) is an inter-governmental political forum consisting of Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, the United Kingdom and the United States