Israel and Morocco ink defence pact
Part of: Prelims and GS-II- International Relations
Context Israel and Morocco signed a landmark agreement that lays the foundation for security cooperation, intelligence sharing and future arms sales.
- Morocco established formal relations with Israel in 2020 as part of the U.S.-brokered Abraham Accords.
- Morocco, UAE, Bahrain and Sudan signed agreements to normalize relations with Israel in 2020 as part of the Abraham Accords, which were brokered by the Trump administration.
- The northwesternmost country in the Maghreb region of North Africa.
- It overlooks the Mediterranean Sea to the north and the Atlantic Ocean to the west
About Abraham Accords
- A joint statement between Israel, UAE, and USA, reached on August 13, 2020.
- The term was also used to refer collectively to agreements between Israel, UAE and Bahrain.