Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Anna Yojana (PMGKAY)
Part of: Prelims and GS II – Policies and interventions
Context The central government has decided to extend the Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Anna Yojana (PMGKAY) until March 2022.
What is Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Anna Yojana?
- Forms a part of Atmanirbhar Bharat to supply free food grains to migrants and the poor.
- 5 kg free wheat/rice per person / month along with 1 kg free whole chana to each family per month.
- Wheat has been allocated to 6 States/UTs, – Punjab, Haryana, Rajasthan, Chandigarh, Delhi and Gujarat.
- Rice has been provided to the remaining States/UTs.
- This is over and above the regular monthly entitlements under National Food Security Act, 2013 (NFSA).
- Beneficiaries include Antyodaya Anna Yojana (AAY) and Priority Household (PHH) cardholders.