Compensatory Afforestation Fund Management and Planning Authority (CAMPA)
Part of: Prelims and GS-III – Environment
Context The Compensatory Afforestation Fund Management and Planning Authority (CAMPA) has so far disbursed Rs. 48,606 crore to 32 States.
Compensatory Afforestation Fund
- Compensatory Afforestation Fund (CAF) is a Rs. 54,000-crore tranche collected for nearly a decade as environmental compensation from industry, which has razed forest land for its business plans.
- The CAF Act 2016 established an independent authority — the Compensatory Afforestation Fund Management and Planning Authority — to execute the fund.
- The rules governing the management of the fund were finalised in August 2020.
- The rules specify that the funds are to be used for catchment area treatment, wildlife management, forest fire prevention, soil and moisture conservation work in the forest.
- It cannot be used for payment of salary, travelling allowances, making buildings and buying office equipment for forest officers.