Part of: Prelims and GS II – Policies and interventions
Context The Centre’s e-Shram portal crossed the 15-crore mark recently.
- Uttar Pradesh sees the highest number of enrolments at 31.6 lakh.
- It is a portal through which the government aims to register 38 crore unorganised workers, such as construction labourers, migrant workforce, street vendors and domestic workers, among others.
- Ministry: Ministry of Labour & Employment
- The workers will be issued an e-Shram card containing a 12-digit unique number, which, going ahead, will help in including them in social security schemes.
- Registration at E-shram will facilitate unorganized workers to get the benefits of various social security and employment-based schemes
Place in news: Latakia port
- An Israeli air strike hit Syria’s Latakia port
- Since the outbreak of Syria’s civil war in 2011, Israel has routinely carried out air strikes on its strife-torn neighbour