Part of: Prelims and GS-I -Society and GS-III – Internal security
Context As covered earlier, several civilians were killed by the security forces in an “ambush” in Nagaland’s Mon district. The civilians belonged to the Konyak tribe.
About Konyak tribe
- The Konyaks are one of the major ethnic groups of Nagaland.
- Reside mostly in the Mon district also known as ‘The Land of The Anghs’.
- Also found in some districts of Arunachal Pradesh, Assam and Myanmar
- The Anghs/Wangs are their traditional chiefs
- Facial tattoos were earned for taking an enemy’s head.
- Known to be one of the fiercest warrior tribes in Nagaland,
- They are also adept in making ‘janglaü’ (machetes) and wooden sculptures.