Sanctions against China over abuse of Uighurs
Part of: Prelims and GS-II – International Relations
Context USA is imposing new sanctions on several Chinese biotech and surveillance companies and government entities over human rights abuses of Uighur Muslims
- The move will bar American companies from selling components to the entities without a licence.
- Uigurs, are a minority Turkic ethnic group originating from and culturally affiliated with the general region of Central and East Asia.
- The Uighurs are recognized as native to the Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region of the People’s Republic of China.
- China rejects the idea of them being an indigenous group
- Since 2016, it is estimated that over a million Uyghurs have been detained in Xinjiang re-education camps.(UN)
- International Consortium of Investigative Journalists (ICIJ), the main feature of the camps is to ensure adherence to Chinese Communist Party ideology.