Vanniyar quota law
Part of: Prelims and GS-II -Policies and interventions
Context The Supreme Court has held that admissions to higher education institutions and appointments to Tamil Nadu’s government jobs made this year under the Vanniyar quota would not be disturbed.
- However, SC has barred fresh appointments and admissions until February 15 next year.
What is Vanniyar Movement?
- Vanniyars are one of the largest and most consolidated backward communities in Tamil Nadu.
- They had raised massive protests in the mid-1980s demanding 20% reservation in the state, and 2% in central services.
- During agitation from September 17 to 23, 1987, many protesters were killed.
- Split of OBC quota: In 1989, the OBC quota was split into two: Backward Castes and Most Backward Castes.
- Vanniyars were categorised among the MBCs with 107 other communities, with 20% reservation.
- Three decades later, the state government passed a Bill, and the current government has implemented it with a Government Order ensuring 10.5% reservation for Vanniyars within the 20% MBC quota.