Broadcast Audience Research Council (BARC) India
Part of: Prelims and GS-II -Policies and Interventions
Context: Information & Broadcasting Ministry has asked Broadcast Audience Research Council (BARC) India to release news ratings with immediate effect.
What is BARC?
- It is a company created in 2010 and jointly owned by advertisers, ad agencies, and broadcasting companies, represented by the Indian Society of Advertisers, the Indian Broadcasting Foundation and the Advertising Agencies Association of India.
- The Ministry of Information and Broadcasting notified the Policy Guidelines for Television Rating Agencies in India on January 10, 2014, and registered BARC in July 2015 under these guidelines, to carry out television ratings in India.
Do you know?
- The Television Rating Point (TRP) is the metric used by the marketing and advertising agencies to evaluate viewership.
- Significance of TRP:
- These influence programmes produced for the viewers. Better ratings would promote a programme while poor ratings will discourage a programme.
- TRPs are the main currency for advertisers to decide which channel to advertise on by calculating the cost-per-rating-point (CPRP)
News Source: TH