Omicron in community transmission: INSACOG
Part of: Prelims and GS-II Health
Context: According to the Indian SARS-CoV-2 Genomics Consortium (INSACOG), Omicron is now in community transmission in India and has become dominant in multiple metros, where new cases have been rising exponentially.
- Coordinated by: Department of Biotechnology (DBT) along with MoH&FW, ICMR, and CSIR
- The consortium ascertains the status of a new variant of SARS-CoV-2 in the country.
- INSACOG has a high level Inter-Ministerial Steering Committee.
- It has a Scientific Advisory Group for scientific and technical guidance.
- Aim: To monitor the genomic variations in the SARS-CoV-2 on a regular basis through a multi-laboratory network.
- This vital research consortium also assists in developing potential vaccines in the future.
- The consortium will also establish a sentinel surveillance for early detection of genomic variants with public health implication, and determine the genomic variants in the unusual events/trends.
News Source: TH