Part of: Prelims and GS-II Health and GS-III Sci and Tech
Context The Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) has approved a testing kit for detecting the Omicron variant of SARS-CoV-2.
- The kit is manufactured by Tata Medical and Diagnostics and is named OmiSure.
- The kit will be used to confirm Omicron in patients with its S-Gene Target Failure (SGTF) strategy.
What is the Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR)
- ICMR, New Delhi is the apex body in India for the formulation, coordination, and promotion of biomedical research.
- Ministry: Ministry of Health & Family Welfare.
- It is funded by the Government of India
- The Governing Body of ICMR is presided over by the Union Health Minister.