Second Round Of The Quarterly Employment Survey (QES)
Part of: Prelims and GS-III -Employment
Context: Union Labour and Employment Ministry released July-Sept. 2021 employment figures under the second round of the Quarterly Employment Survey (QES).
- More hiring: Nine sectors that account for about 85% of total employment in establishments with 10 or more workers hired two lakh more people in July-September 2021 compared to April-June 2021,
- Increased total employment: The estimated total employment in the nine selected sectors is 3.10 crore approximately, which is 2 lakh higher than the the first round of QES (April 1, 2021).
- The report covers manufacturing, construction, trade, transport, education, health, accommodation and restaurants, IT/BPOs and financial services sectors.
- 90% of the establishments had less than 100 workers, while 30% of the IT/BPO establishments had at least 100 workers.
- Female workers: The overall percentage of female workers stood at 32.1%, higher than 29.3% reported during the first round of QES.
- In the construction sector, 20% of the workers were contractual and 6.4% were casual workers.
- While most of the vacancies (65.8%) were for unspecified reasons, 23% were due to resignation and 11.7% due to retirement of employees.