Part of: Prelims and Mains GS-III: Space Science & technology
In News: Chandrayaan-3 is scheduled for launch in August 2022.
- Same configuration like Chandrayaan-2 but it will not have an orbiter. The orbiter launched during Chandrayaan-2 will be used for Chandrayaan-3.
- Chandrayaan-3 is critical for ISRO as it will demonstrate India’s capabilities to make landings for further interplanetary missions.
- The Chandrayaan-3 takes cues from the first Chandrayaan mission launched in October 2008 that made major discoveries including finding evidence of water on the lunar surface.
What happened to Chandrayaan-2?
- Chandrayaan-2, India’s second mission to the Moon, had failed to make a soft-landing on the lunar surface.
- The lander and rover malfunctioned in the final moments and crash-landed, getting destroyed in the process
Key information gathered till now
- Presence of water molecules on moon which is the most precise information about water till date.
- Presence of Minor elements: Chromium, manganese and Sodium have been detected for the first time through remote sensing.
- Information about solar flares: A large number of microflares outside the active region have been observed for the first time. It shall help in understanding the mechanism behind heating of the solar corona.
News Source: PIB