Scheme for Economic Empowerment of DNTs (SEED)
Part of: Prelims
By: The Minister of Social Justice and Empowerment
For: Welfare of De-notified, Nomadic and Semi Nomadic Communities
National Commission for De-Notified, Nomadic and Semi Nomadic Tribes in 2014: under the Chairmanship of Shri Bhiku Ramji Idate
The De-notified, Nomadic and Semi-Nomadic Tribes are the most neglected, marginalized and economically and socially deprived communities. Most of them have been living a life of destitution for generations and still continue to do so with an uncertain and gloomy future.
- Escaped the attention of our developmental framework and thus are deprived of the support unlike Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes.
- Historically, these communities never had access to private land or home ownership.
- These tribes used forests and grazing lands for their livelihood and residential use and had “strong ecological connections.
- Many of them are dependent upon various types of natural resources and carve out intricate ecological niches for their survival.
- The changes in ecology and environment seriously affect their livelihood options.
Four components of the Scheme
- To provide coaching of good quality for DNT/NT/SNT candidates to enable them to appear in competitive examinations.
- To provide health insurance to DNT/NT/SNT Communities.
- To facilitate livelihoods initiative at community level to build and strengthen small clusters of DNT/NT/SNT Communities institutions.
- To provide financial assistance for construction of houses to members of the DNT/NT/SNT Communities.
News Source: PIB