Sri Lanka’s Unitary Digital Identity framework
Part of: Prelims and GS-II -International Relations
Context: India shall provide a grant to Sri Lanka to implement a ‘Unitary Digital Identity framework.
- The framework is apparently modelled on the Aadhaar card.
- Under the proposed Unitary Digital Identity Framework, the following features shall be introduced.
- personal identity verification device based on biometric data
- a digital tool that can represent the identities of individuals in cyberspace
- the identification of individual identities that can be accurately verified in digital and physical environments by combining the two devices.
What is Aadhar number?
- Aadhaar number is a 12-digit random number issued by the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) to the residents of India after satisfying the verification process laid down by the Authority.
- Any individual, irrespective of age and gender, who is a resident of India, may voluntarily enrol to obtain an Aadhaar number.
- Person willing to enrol has to provide minimal demographic and biometric information during the enrolment process which is totally free of cost.
- An individual needs to enrol for Aadhaar only once.
- Legal Framework: The Parliament has passed the Aadhaar and Other Laws (Amendment) Act, 2019 which allows voluntary use of Aadhaar as proof of identity
News Source: TH